Sunday, March 9, 2008

Reflections on William Johnson's Moose Dreams!

This poem I am going to take a hack at, but is probably way off...So go easy on my interpretation!!!!! This poem reminds me of high school days when my friends and I would go camping to the CDA river. We would go fishing when dawn was creeping in, the sun blazing down on our back as were attempting to catch the first fish of the day. Once, when we looked across the river, we saw a tall, long-legged straddling Moose. I think what William was trying to portray was a man relieving his stresses out in the wilderness. The man can leave behind all the chutzpa (for good or for bad) in his life and just be. He compares his burdens to the weight of bone-wings on christ. This man is one who loves to hunt. Smelling the musk, and describing it as something that if it were fumes he would have "snuff" to much in his day. When he throws his fish in the cooler, as we all do, he gets the last look from the fish. The fish is pist he was caught and gives him a last glare of life.

No comments: